Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs



Today, I am grateful for boxed mac and cheese with chopped up hot dogs mixed in.

Sometimes, it feels good to eat like a five year old again. Those who know me well might describe me as a bit of a "foodie"; I enjoy trying new things, am pretty open-minded in my food adventures (though, I draw the line a readily-identifiable filter organs, i.e., liver and kidneys)and I am not one to turn my nose up at any form of ethnic food. I love fancy, artisan cheeses. I do back flips for anything that hails from the Mediterranean or Middle East. Despite this, though, I am still a sucker for good ole American comfort food, and nothing screams "comfort food", in that salty, processed, nuclear-family-1950s-sort-of-way more than boxed mac and cheese with chopped up hot dogs mixed in. Yum. I mean, really, even the process of making this mess on a plate is comforting in its mindless simplicity. Follow the direction on the back of the box to make the mac and cheese. Boil the hot dogs in the pasta water. Chop up the hot dogs. Mix it all together. Eat. The only thing that makes this tasty meal better would be a side of green Jello with bananas chopped up in it. See a theme here?

So, what made you happy today?

3 comments:

  1. Remaining in the food realm, I'm thankful for low-fat string cheese. I'll never get too old to play with my food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, string cheese is amazingly wonderful stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a great combination. Also surprisingly good - scrambled eggs and hotdogs - affectionately called eggweenies.

    ReplyDelete